Friday 22 April 2016

Yet another (infamous) London connection - discovering a new identity for Calcutta



They say you learn something everyday. 
 
While mentioning that I am from Calcutta, one of my colleagues (who happens to be from Sudan) in my London office exclaimed: Oh! Calcutta-Bilaad-Al-Naamis" (!!)

When I asked what that meant, he told me that since the ancient Arab days, this has been a popular statement among people in Arab (just like our comments like "Mecca-of-cricket" or "Chicken-A-La-Kiev", etc.). He even agreed to write it down:



"Calcutta-Bilaad-Al-Naamis"

So what does it mean? Apparently it means "Calcutta the house of mosquitoes" (!!).

Now I do know that Kiev and Chicken are not related. Nor is Mecca with cricket. But I can't deny that Calcutta and its little friends are not related. 



At last now I know of something other than the Rosogolla that has been making our city famous (since the last 1000 years!)

No comments:

Post a Comment